…and then the world

What’s New

The latest thing (May 2017):

I revisited the topics covered in my book, reflecting on what’s happened since I finished writing, and collated related research and literature, for this post as a precursor to a talk I am giving at ICA: “Social media and everyday politics, re-examined: The impact of fake news, the alt-right, and the clickbait president”, at ‘Populism, Post-Truth Politics and Participatory Culture’ pre-conference, San Diego, 24 May 2017.

I was also interviewed by Emma Grey Ellis for ‘Don’t Look Now, But Extremists’ Meme Armies Are Turning Into Militias‘, published in Wired (20/4/17).

Here’s my round-up of what I got up to in 2016, featuring all publications, details of talks and presentations, and links to other work (including my winning GIF IT UP! entry).


Social Media and Everyday Politics

It’s my book, and it’s out now! Full information is available here, and please feel free to contact me about anything related to it — and if you like it, please review it and encourage people to take a look! You can find the book in actual bookstores: This page has a list of bookstores known to have copies in store (or in their online catalogues), which includes stores in Australia, Singapore, the UK, and the USA! There are the online options of Amazon and Book Depository, as well as direct from Polity and Wiley.

I also have fridge magnets available featuring the book cover — get in touch with me if you’d like one, or hit me up at a conference/talk in 2017! And coming soon, something involving the emoji edition of the book (featured above). Reviews are coming in from various journals, links to which can be found here.


Talks, papers, and more for 2017:

Conferences and talks

USA, northern spring 2017:
Tim Highfield: “The GIF and News Coverage: Remediated, Remixed, and Reimagined”, at SCMS – Chicago, 22-26 March 2017
Tim Highfield and Peta Mitchell: “Algorithmic Surveillance and Urban Ambient Geodata”, at AAG – Boston, 5-9 April 2017
Tim Highfield: “Social media and everyday politics, re-examined: The impact of fake news, the alt-right, and the clickbait president”, at ICA – San Diego, 25-29 May 2017 (‘Populism, Post-Truth Politics and Participatory Culture’ pre-conference)

Europe, summer 2017:
University of Amsterdam Digital Methods Summer School (26-27 June 2017):
Tim Highfield: ‘Instagrammatics, visual social media, and digital methods’, keynote presentation.
Tim Highfield: ‘Instagrammatics and beyond: Studying the politics and cultures of visual social media’, masterclass.
Tim Highfield and Tama Leaver: ‘Instagrammatics’ methods workshop.

Tim Highfield: ‘Visual cultures and politics of social media’. Oxford Internet Institute Summer Doctoral Programme, Oxford, 7 July 2017.

Europe, autumn 2017:
Tim Highfield: ‘#BlackLivesMatter to #dogsatpollingstations (but not #CrookedHillary): Platform privilege and the affective politics of hashflags’, Affective Politics symposium, Turku, 12-13 October 2017.
Tim Highfield: ‘Provocations for digital methods and digital media’ for Digital Methods preconference, AoIR 2017, Tartu, 18 October 2017.
Ariadna Matamoros Fernández, Felix Münch, and Tim Highfield: ‘More than meets the eye: Understanding networks of images in controversies around racism on social media’. AoIR 2017, Tartu, 19-21 October 2017.

just out! – March 2017
Tim Highfield (2017). Histories of blogging. In G. Goggin & M. McLelland (eds.), The Routledge Companion to Global Internet Histories (Oxford: Routledge).
Tama Leaver and Tim Highfield (2016 — online first). Visualising the ends of identity: Pre-birth and post-death on Instagram. Information, Communication & Society. doi:10.1080/1369118X.2016.1259343

coming very soon!
Tim Highfield (2017). Social TV and depictions of community on social media: Instagram and Eurovision fandom. In P. Messaris & L. Humphreys (eds.), Digital Media: Transformations in human communication (second edition) (New York: Peter Lang).

April 2017: I was interviewed by Emma Grey Ellis for ‘Don’t Look Now, But Extremists’ Meme Armies Are Turning Into Militias‘ in Wired (20/4/17)

QUT DMRC Summer School 2017 – Brisbane 6-10 February 2017
More to follow

Warning: Unknown: open(/home/content/05/4961205/tmp/sess_qijm1e03th876jo85k2hnfqk96, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () in Unknown on line 0